Friday, January 31, 2014

How do your children see you? Role Model, Leadership, comforting,nurturing?

The bible is the most powerful tool that a person has when going through daily life. I found this verse in the bible that goes perfectly with leading by example.
Proverbs 31:26 ESV / 141 helpful votes
She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.

Our local church has a sermon series coming up titled :Clean Slate – Parenting
That got me thinking about my children and how they see me.
Yesterday, I had the question on my mind of does my daughter look up to me?  I am just not sure about that. 

What if she doesn’t?  How would that make me feel?

I think the reason I question so much, is today in society there are so many people out there, advertisements, commercials, so much out there to get young people’s attention.  Where should the role modeling start?  How do I want my daughter to walk out that door in the morning when she goes off to school?  Are you looking for people to tell you who you are and what you should do or are you presenting yourself as one approved, confident of who you are? 

The example starts with me.  My daughter is about to be a teenager and she is being influenced every which way you turn.  When I tell her I really do not want her to do something, than I shouldn’t, plain and simple (Unless it’s justifiable).

I was recently diagnosed with a thyroid issue, which does give me a slight handicap as far as weight loss, energy.  Energy, let me emphasize that..ha! I think to myself, how does Susan see me?  As a mom who sits around and is unmotivating? 

My daughters main topic of conversation lately is about her girlfriends at school and there many trials and tribulations throughout the day at school.  I tend to tune out when she goes on and on and I think she may see that as, mom is not interested.  But I am!  I have to make sure that she knows I am here to listen and offer advice to her.  I don’t ever want her to feel like I am not.  Because that is when they start looking elsewhere for that approval or that acknowledgement of yes, Susan I can hear you. 

Here is a picture of me and my daughter.  I want so much more for her.  I want her to go to college, get a nice career and marry a man that truly cares about her.  The storybook life.  I need to plant seeds today so that down the road I can begin to see them take root and turn into a confident, determined, woman of God.


As I raise my children, I hope that they first and foremost let God and the holy spirit direct them but also that they would make wise decisions.


Love my kids more than anything in this world and they have to be prepared to go out there and stand up amongst all the worldy things going on and especially peer pressure.  

If the confidence and reassurance starts at home than when they go out those doors, nothing can stop them!  The sky is the limit.  And I truly want to be that example for them.  Both my son and my daughter.  

No comments: